Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hearts Wide Open

Scripture: We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians; our heart is wide open. You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted in your own affections. In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also. 2 Corinthians 6:11-13

Observation: Paul is baring his soul to the Corinthians, asking them to respond to him the way he has responded to them. He is trying to lead them, yet they have been resistant. Paul’s heart is wide open to them, and he requests, not demands, their love in return.

Application: I have been surprised over the years how some people respond to pastoral leadership with mistrust and hostility. They meet each new initiative and direction with resistance and suspicion. While there are many reasons for that that have nothing to do with the leader, I can see why some people might feel that way. They have had leaders whose hearts were not wide open. Leaders who saw their position as a stepping stone to another role. Leaders who were temporary. Leaders who started things they would not be around to finish. These actions leave people wary of leaders. If the leader’s heart is closed off, why should they open theirs? Paul does not demand their love, but as a father requests the love of his kids, Paul requests the love (and trust) of the Corinthians.

I need to lead with heart wide open. With honestly, with genuineness, with no hiddenness or secret agendas. Some people are so jaded that they will not be able to handle this, but nevertheless, I must lead this way. And in the end, I cannot convince or cajole someone into loving me and my direction---I can only request their respect.

Prayer: God, let me lead with my heart wide open. Let me lead with integrity and honesty. Protect me from discouragement when I am not trusted or attacked. Grant me favor with our people. Help them to trust my heart and leadership.

No comments: