Thursday, November 4, 2010

Willing to remain silent

Scripture: Let the Christ, the King of Israel, come down now from the cross that we may see and believe." Those who were crucified with him also reviled him. Mark 15:32

Observation: Jesus was humiliated on the cross. Mocked, abused, insulted. Everyone from the rich to the poor, from the nobles to the outcasts, looked down on him as they looked upon him. Mark tells us that even those who were being crucified with Jesus reviled him. These are the last people on earth who should be mocking Jesus. Besides the torture of their own pain, they were being hung before people as the ultimate failures. They were being put to death for their utter collapse of life. Yet even in their dying moments, they find breath to shower hate on the Christ. If someone being crucified can look down on you, you have sunk as low as you possibly could.

I am amazed that Christ was willing to sink this low for me. Enduring the shame for me. Willing to allow lies and slander to fly all around him while he remained mute for me.

Application: It really bothers me when my motives or actions are maligned. When someone who does not have all the facts calls me out. I want to rise up, to defend myself. I want to show them the facts. But as I meditate on Jesus here, I see that he can give me the power to stay silent. To let accusations and questions roll off of me. To be content with having people misunderstand my motives or actions. I don't have to fix everyone's views. People of integrity act, expecting to be believed. When they are not, they trust that time will prove them right.

Prayer: God, free me today from my need to correct. If the greatest slander in history could go unresponded to by you, then I can certainly trust you to take care of minor misunderstandings in my life. Show me when to speak in love, and when to let things go. Your back is strong enough to bear it; I take shelter there today.

No comments: