Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hold Fast. This is good. God is in this.


Scripture: Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4

Observation: James tells us we each have a decision to make when we encounter challenges in life. We can choose to grumble or we can chose to believe, “This is good. God is in this.” This choice is ours and ours alone. No one can make it for us. No well-meaning friend can use these words on us. We have to choose that this is good and God is in this. And the reason it is good and God is in this is because God is using this trial and my response to it to build in me steadfastness. He is completing me by teaching me how to hold fast in this world.

Application: I was thinking this morning about how I have a lot on my plate at this time of year. I can get stressed out by a number of things. And unfortunately, I don’t always choose joy. I choose outlets like negativity, discouragement. I turn to food for escape. These are all alternatives to choosing to believe, “This is good. God is in this.” I think God is reminding me today that the choice is mine, and for me to choose joy.

Prayer: This is good, God. You are in this. You are forging in me the ability to hold fast. Help me choose to believe. Help me choose joy. Steer me from easy, yet unsatisfying responses to my trials. I choose today to hold fast to you and your plan for my life.

No comments: