Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Knight's Code


Scripture: Respect everyone. Love the brotherhood of believers. Fear God. Honor the king. 1 Peter 2:17

Observation: Peter is stressing that the way we treat others in life reveals our true freedom, and silences our critics. If we claim Christ, then the way we relate to authorities and others in our lives ought to reflect that. If we have truly been set free, we will show it by submission.

Application: These words stick out to me as a code of conduct, a creed. Something that would be emblazoned on the shield of a knight. They are brief and yet cover so much about our relationships in life. My boys and I have a code of conduct for men in our house, our knight’s code. But I like this as well. These are 4 truths I need to teach my kids. Respect everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor authorities in your life. I think this might be our next family time devotional.

Prayer: God, help me model these attitudes towards these 4 groups in my life. Please instill these in my kids. Help me lead them towards true freedom through submission.

No comments: