Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What He Requires, He Will Provide

Scripture: The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, “Command the people of Israel and say to them, ‘My offering, my food for my food offerings, my pleasing aroma, you shall be careful to offer to me at its appointed time.’ Numbers 28:1-2

Observation: Here we find the calendar of sacrifices. What to offer, which day to offer it. It is a detailed list. And sometimes, these offerings could pile up on each other. For example, if the Sabbath day fell on the first day of the month, a priest would have to offer not only the daily offerings and the Sabbath offerings but also the first-of-the-month offerings. That’s a lot to offer. According to the ESV Study bible, these sacrifices, over the course of a year, could total 113 bulls, 1,086 lambs, over a ton of flour, and 1,000 bottles of oil and wine!
One way to look at that is with pressure and responsibility. “You mean we have to produce that many animals and flour and bottles? Oh boy!” Another way to look at this is to see it as a promise: God will provide for what God requires. “You mean we will be prosperous enough to be able to sacrifice 100 bulls, 1000 lambs, and 1000 bottles of wine? Praise God!” Pressure or praise hinge upon seeing God’s unspoken promises.

Application: I deal with a lot of responsibility. Sometimes I look at that and feel the pressure, “You mean I have to come up with _______?” Today, God is reminding me that what he requires, He will provide. I can look at my responsibility (which has not changed) and see that God is going to provide. Greater responsibility means I need greater provision, and greater opportunity for God to flex his muscles.

Prayer: God, I have some tasks before me these next few weeks. Tasks that have increased due to illness. Yet today I ask for and trust that You will provide for all you have required of me. I cannot do it myself.

No comments: