Wednesday, May 25, 2011

When Happiness Goes Too Far.

Scripture: Happy are your wives! Happy are these your servants, who continually stand before you and hear your wisdom! 2 Chronicles 9:7

Observation: While the beginning of Solomon’s rule was marked by widespread prosperity and protection for the people, the last days saw the focus shift. When the Queen of Sheba visits Solomon, she is amazed by the luxury and wealth he has amassed. The throne of wisdom has become a gaudy, glitzy thing. The court of Solomon is a happy place, because luxury rules. It seems that success + drifting from God = decadence. The ultimate cost of this is a divided kingdom.
We have been talking in our Small Group about money, and the proper use of it. We learned that the love of money is the root of all kinds of problems. You can see that here. Solomon had too much success, and failed to temper it with the wisdom God gave him. The wisdom that starts with a healthy fear of God.

Application: As God brings success into my life, I must remain moored to Him. I need to remember to “dance with the one who brung ya.” I need to remember what got me here, and who got me here. Staying grounded in the word is key for me. With increased responsibility comes the increased pressure to squeeze out this time with God, to fill it with more productive things. But that is how it starts. I need this summer to make sure I stay close to God in his word.

Prayer: God, grant me success, that I might serve you and your people better. But don’t let me get caught up in the glamour and trappings of success. Don’t let it go to my head. I trust you to be my priority.

No comments: