Monday, May 16, 2011

Get off your Bed and Make a Decision!

Scripture: And now, behold, Adonijah is king, although you, my lord the king, do not know it. 1 Kings 1:18

Observation: David is advancing, and it is time for him to choose a successor. His oldest living son, Adonijah, plans to take the throne, even though God had identified Solomon as David’s successor. David learns of this news on his sickbed, when his wife comes to tell him that Adonijah is acting like the next king. David has to act quickly to install Solomon, lest rebellion and division arise.

Adonijah was right—the oldest living son is supposed to take the throne from his father. This was the world’s custom. However, God had already picked Solomon. So contrary to public opinion of “the way things are done around here,” Solomon was the right choice for David.

Application: As a leader, one burden we must carry is the burden of leading where God is going, even when it may not be popular or even customary. There are many things I face in the church, for example, where I have to act on what God has shared with me or our leadership, things that may not make sense according to the customs of the day. Now, I need to make sure we are hearing from God, and we are communicating that to people. But in the end, sometimes we just have to install Solomon on the throne and let the chips fall.

What I realize today is that by not dealing with problems, I can let bitterness and rebellion grow. There comes a time when David has to get off his bed and make a decision, for the sake of the kingdom.

Prayer: God, I need your guidance in when and how to deal with people. When do I need to get off my sickbed and deal with a potential problem before it blooms into a big one? I pray today for wisdom in hearing from you and identifying the time to act. I also ask for grace and truth when the time comes.

No comments: