Thursday, January 7, 2010

Negotiating with God

Scripture: Abraham answered and said, “Behold, I have undertaken to speak to the Lord, I who am but dust and ashes.” Genesis 18:27

Observation: God announces his intention to destroy the wicked cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham speaks up and gets God to agree that if God can find 50 righteous people in the city, he will spare the whole city. Abraham then gets God to drop that number from 50 to 10 righteous people who can save the city. What gave Abraham the idea that he could negotiate with God? Why did the all-powerful God of the universe listen to the dust and ashes of a man like Abraham? Maybe what was driving Abraham to speak so boldly was the fact that God had already commissioned him to be a blessing to the world. If these cities were destroyed, how could Abraham bless them? Also, by destroying these cities, God would be killing many righteous people along with the wicked. Abraham was concerned for God’s character and reputation and sense of justice.

Application: This text puzzles me with questions about prayer and sovereignty. I also wonder why Abraham stopped at ten. Maybe he felt he could “press his luck” only so far. Maybe there was something in God’s tone that signaled negotiations were at an end. It kind of reminds me of when my kids negotiate with me for dessert. The difference here is that Abraham was negotiating not for his own benefit, but as his role as blesser of the world. Abraham is standing in between the power of God and the destruction of a city. The sense of responsibility to his mission and his desire to see God act justly towards the wicked and righteous gave him boldness.
Question: What do I feel so strongly about from God’s word that I would be willing to undertake to speak to the Lord about it? What would I be willing to press my luck with God over? How far can I press my luck before the proverbial lightning bolt falls? It seems God is not angered by Abraham’s boldness, as Abraham is acting not for selfish gain, but for the good of God. Could this principle guide me to test my motives before I open negotiations?

Prayer: God, give me bold humility in my dealings with you. Who knows that you were planning this all along and part of your plan was to get Abraham to engage with you in prayer? What is it in my life you wish me to wrestle with you over? Please continue to grow me in the area of prayer, and in this area of bold approach.

No comments: