Tuesday, January 26, 2010

When Their Issue Isn't Me

Scripture: Your grumbling is not against us but against the Lord. Exodus 16:8

Observation: The people have been delivered from Egypt, only to wander in the desert, hungry. They grumble that they have been brought out from captivity only to die of hunger. In response, God speaks to Moses to inform him of a plan of provision-he will provide a daily portion of manna for the people to eat.

Application: As a leader, I can easily fall into the temptation to try to solve everyone’s problems. To think my job is to fix people’s expectations. To listen to every complaint and immediately hop to it, to fix their situation so they no longer have any issues. But the reality is, often their issue is not with me, but with God. Sure, there are often legitimate issues that I can and should be a part of resolving. But often, people are complaining because of unmet expectations, which have nothing to do with me or what we are doing, but with them and the Lord. Recently I had a situation where a person vented about something. But it became clear that this was not the issue. This person was unhappy about where they were in life and how they felt others (and ultimately God) had not kept their part of the deal.
If I try to swallow every complaint, I will die, for my stomach was not built to do so. I need the wisdom of God to deal with what I can do, but to also know when and how to turn their complaint in to a discipleship moment, to turn them back to God and help them engage one on one with Him. Because we often complain to others when the real discussion should be with God.

Prayer: God, as I take on this new role, help me filter complaints and “ought-tos” through your word and Spirit. Let me own what is mine, and also deflect what is not back to You. Show me how to use even complaints to disciple and redirect people towards a kingdom mindset.

1 comment:

Chris and Jill said...

Wonderful post, Thomas. This can apply to those in lay ministry in so many ways as well. Thanks for the reminder and for being so faithful with posting these!