Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You Are Not Able to Do it Alone

Scripture: Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses' hands grew weary, so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it, while Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side. So his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. Exodus 17:11-12
You and the people with you will certainly wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you. You are not able to do it alone. Exodus 18:18

Observation: Moses adjusts to the responsibility of leadership. Through two chapters God tries to show Moses a powerful leadership lesson: You cannot do this alone.

Application: I actually see two aspects here. First, like Moses on the mountain at Rephidim, I will only prevail as my hands are lifted in prayer. And I must have Aaron and Hur by my side. I need a team praying for me. Second, like Moses learned from his father-in-law, I cannot lead the people by myself. I cannot get involved in every dispute, complaint, or issue. It will wear me out. I must develop and trust others to carry out the mission.

Prayer: God, protect me from leading alone. Raise up men who can commit to holding up my arms in prayer. Raise up able people, people who fear God, who are trustworthy, to help me carry out the task of shepherding.

No comments: