Thursday, October 28, 2010

I Know that my Redeemer Lives

Scripture: For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. My heart faints within me! Job19:25-26

Observation: Job wishes he could write a book about his experience. Why? So he could tell everyone of his belief that his redeemer lives. In spite of all the pain and suffering he still believes he will see God. What is remarkable about this is that in Job's day, the theology of the afterlife was still developing. These people believed that the grave was the end. So Job is declaring his belief in God as his redeemer, even if that redemption or vindication comes "too late". Job is confident that God will vindicate him, even if it is after Job is long dead and gone. His hope is greater than rescue; it is redemption. It is a trust in God that goes beyond God fixing his life.

Application: I hold strongly to Christ as my redeemer. I know that he will one day recuse me from out of this earth. But do I trust him to do what is right even if it is after possible benefit to me? Do I trust him beyond the fixing of the situation?

Prayer: God, help me know that my redeemer lives today, and at the last he will stand upon the Earth.

No comments: