Sunday, October 17, 2010

Praying for My Kids

Scripture: And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and consecrate them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually. Job 1:5

Observation: Job was a blameless man, blessed with wealth, health, and a happy family. He had ten kids, who celebrated life and God with a daily feast. Each one of his 7 sons took a day of the week to host the feast. And in all of this, Job rose daily to pray for his kids, in case they got a little out of hand in their celebrations and committed a sin. Bottom line: Job prayed for his kids daily, he interceded on his kids behalf.

Application: Jessica and I talked last night about how it was important for us to be praying for our kids, for protection and God’s work in their lives. I do not know what this so easily slips our mind, but it often does. Job reminds me here of the crucial task of praying for my kids. Tomorrow, Jessica and I are going to sit down and talk more about how we can implement this in our lives and be more intentional about rising to pray for our family.

Prayer: God, forgive me for my prayerlessness when it comes to my kids. Teach me how to “offer sacrifices” for each of my kids before you regularly, so that you may fully work in their lives.

No comments: