Monday, January 3, 2011

Preparing the Way

Scripture: Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall become straight, and the rough places shall become level ways, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God. Luke 3:5-6

Observation: Luke quotes Isaiah’s prophecy about the coming of the Messiah, and attributes it to John. John is the voice crying in the wilderness for people to get ready. His role was to help the Jews get right with God now, so that when the Messiah came, they could see and receive him easily. This is a poetic passage, describing the filling up of holes, the smoothing down of obstacles, and the straightening of crooked paths. It implies the raising up of the humble, the knocking down of the proud, and the correcting of the dishonest. These are the preparations for the Messiah.

Application: This morning I was reading a news article about a group of people that believe Christ will return this year, on a certain date. These people believe so strongly that some have left jobs and homes to travel and tell people. Right or wrong, they are ‘preparing the way’ for the Messiah.
So how am I preparing the way for me to receive the Messiah in 2011? How am I making His path into my life smoother? Am I filling valleys, removing obstacles, and straightening crooked paths in my life? I need time to engage in some of these questions this month during my sabbatical day. I know Jesus wants to come to me all throughout this year. Will his path into my life be smooth?

Prayer: Jesus, I want to receive you again and again in this year. I know that meeting you in your word is a primary way for me to do that. I invite you in and pray you would help me prepare the way.

1 comment:

Scott Ward said...

Great word. Pondering what I need to let Him pull down and straighten out in my life.