Monday, January 24, 2011

When Jesus Doesn't Want Us To See Him

Scripture: But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. Luke 24:16

Observation: After the resurrection, Jesus appears to two men on the road to Emmaus. But God prevents them from recognizing Jesus. Why? Why would God conceal His presence? wouldn’t it more powerful to have them instantly recognize Jesus? If they were going to get a day to spend with the risen savior, wouldn’t that day be better spent knowing they were with Christ?
Or maybe not. Perhaps this was a much more dramatic lesson than even the revealed Christ could have taught. This was a way for them to learn a lesson about trusting what God has said, even when they could not see it. This was a chance for this mysterious stranger to retell the story of faith, to help them restore their faith before revealing his identity. The walk to Emmaus was a walk of faith, not of sight.

Application: We sang a song in church yesterday, “Like a River Glorious.” One line drew me to God: “They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true.” God wants me to trust him, even when I cannot see him. As I walk down the road, He is calling me to believe what he has said and to trust He will bring it to pass. To trust him wholly, and find him wholly true.

Prayer: Jesus, May I trust you this week even when I do not see you. You are walking with me, teaching me, stretching my faith. Let me believe you.

No comments: