Thursday, January 20, 2011

Unstable as Water


Scripture: Unstable as water, you shall not have preeminence…Genesis 49:4

Observation: Jacob is dying, and has called his 12 sons to him to bless them and call forth their future. He tells his oldest, Reuben, that he has lost his standing as the firstborn because of Reuben’s sexual sins. Instead of being morally stable, he is unstable as water. Then Jacob tells Simeon and Levi that they will experience a scattering of their descendants and a loss of their strength because of their anger problems. In these three cases, leadership loss happens as a direct result of sin.

Application: As a leader, I am acutely aware of how sin impacts not only me, but my leadership ability. It scares me to think these pronouncements could be made about me one day. That I would lose my opportunity to serve God due to sin. Failing to be stable sexually, or failing to bridle my anger could have repercussions beyond my own life. They could compromise my ability to lead my family, my friends, my church. I want to make sure that I do not let instability now ruin my future.

Prayer: God, I pray for your help. I desire sexual stability and emotional self control. You put that desire in me, and also put in me the power to be stable in these areas. Please help me to continue to yield to you and seek your strength so that I am ready and able to serve at your calling.

No comments: