Thursday, April 28, 2011

God Brings Mighty Men


Scripture: David went out to meet them and said to them, “If you have come to me in friendship to help me, my heart will be joined to you; but if to betray me to my adversaries, although there is no wrong in my hands, then may the God of our fathers see and rebuke you.”
1 Chronicles 12:17

Observation: A group of men approach David, asking to join him. Having known betrayal and lack of support, David asks if these men have come to him in shalom, peace and support. If this is the case, then he will unite his heart to them. If they have come to be his loyal friends, he will give them his heart. Later, the text tells us that day to day men came to David to help him, until there was a great army, like an army of God. This verse tells us that these men were not coming on their own, but were coming to him from God. God was the one bringing these mighty men. God was the one building David’s army. God was the one finding friends for David.

Application: Two things. One, God has brought men in my life to be my shalom, my peace and support. I need to learn how to unite my heart to them, to give them my heart and join them. Two, I need to recognize that I am not alone in my battles, that God wants to support me, and support me by bringing mighty men around me. So I need to pray for and look for them, and then be ready to receive them with an open heart.

Prayer: God, I ask you to bring me mighty men. Maybe you have already, and I need to flip the switch and give them my heart. Maybe you still have some to bring, and I ask you to bring them and give me mighty men in friendship. Help me to enjoy your favor through friendships.

No comments: