Thursday, April 7, 2011

Succeeding at Work but Failing at Home


Scripture: Why then do you scorn my sacrifices and my offerings that I commanded, and honor your sons above me by fattening yourselves on the choicest parts of every offering of my people Israel?’ 1 Samuel 2:29

Observation: Eli is a priest, and from his interactions with young Samuel, he appears to be a godly and wise one. Yet in his influence with his own sons, he is a failure. His sons, who serve in the ministry, are consumed with greed and immorality. They abuse their power. While we want to be careful about holding parents responsible for all their children’s’ actions. In this case, God does hold Eli accountable. God promises to dishonor Eli and his sons and eventually put them to death. In this situation, Eli was able to be an influence for good among other children, but not his own. He was good at work but a failure at home.

Application: As a pastor, I have the opportunity to influence others. On the recent Boquillas trip, I had the opportunity to spend time with and influence the children of others. But the lesson of Eli to me today is: your kids are your priority. Eli helped Samuel listen and follow God, but was unable to lead his sons to do the same. I do not want that to be my legacy. “He led others, but failed with his own family.” It can be easy for me to get home and go “off the clock.” But my main ministry is among my own family.

Prayer: God, help me to learn how to lead my own kids. I pray to day they will honor you and grow in love for you. Show me ways I can lead them, even tonight.

No comments: