Wednesday, October 28, 2009

For I Know

Scripture: “Oh that my words were written! Oh that they were inscribed in a book! Oh that with an iron pen and lead they were engraved in the rock forever! For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:23-25

Observation: Job longs to know that if he is to die, his words would not die with him. That he would be able to leave a legacy, either on paper or on rock. That somewhere, his words would remain, to guide and instruct others. Specifically, what he wants his words to do is to stand as a witness to future peoples. A witness that even amidst pain and suffering, and the face of death, Job stands on the conviction that his redeemer lives and will stand upon the earth.

Application: Yesterday I talked with a friend who was in a great deal of pain. The pain is so great that his temptation is to focus only on himself and his pain. Yet in the midst of it, another friend encouraged him to lift his eyes and believe that God is good and has a plan for his life, even through this. In essence, he was calling him to faith that his redeemer lives and in the end, God will win out. These are hard words and I am not sure how they were received. Yet Job, who is going through the greatest loss, is somehow able to say, “I just want people to remember I did not give up on God—He is my Redeemer and I know he will stand on the Earth in the end.”

Prayer: Pray for my friend today that he would not give up and close his eyes, but open them and see the light that is breaking through into his life. The light of God. God is not done yet and will be his redeemer if he can only trust and not give up.

No comments: