Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Truth hurts. Withholding Truth Hurts More.

Scripture: He who withholds kindness from a friend forsakes the fear of the Almighty. Job 6:14

Observation: Job is alluding to the bad advice he got from his “friend” Eliphaz. Instead of speaking God’s truth to Job in his time of hurt, Eliphaz spoke his own words. By family to speak the truth in love, he withheld the kindness of God. By withholding the kindness of God, he revealed he lack of fear of God.

Application: Often we try to comfort friends in need by agreeing with them, or telling them things will be okay. What we fail to do is speak God’s truth in love to them. Why? I think we fear them more than God. We fear their disapproval. We just want them to “feel better,” not to get back on track with God. And sometimes the words of God don’t feel very kind, especially when they correct us. Truth hurts. Withholding truth hurts more. I have often told people what I think they want to hear, rather than the words of God I know the need. When I do this, I am withholding God’s kindness to them, and forsaking the fear of the Almighty.

Prayer: God, this is hard for me. I like conversations to be happy and stress free. Help me to listen to your spirit, and speak truth when you call me to. Don’t let me withhold your kindness just because sometimes Your kindness hurts. Let me fear you more than the conversation. Amen

No comments: