Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I Do Not Sit as a King

Scripture: As she glorified herself and lived in luxury, so give her a like measure of torment and mourning, since in her heart she says, ‘I sit as a queen, I am no widow, and mourning I shall never see.’ Revelation 18:7

Observation: John is relating the destiny of Babylon. Not sure if Babylon is a religion, a restored political power, or new entity. But one thing that will be a part of Babylon will be her sexual immorality and how she has led others to drink the “wine of the passion of her sexual immorality.” In verse 7 we get a clue to her attitude: In her heart she says she sits as a queen who has never been married. In this case, I think it refers to how she is accountable to no one. She is a solo ruler, with no acknowledgement of God as supreme authority. There is no one she reports to; she is a law unto herself. This is the root of her immorality—the arrogance of independence. At its core, all sexual immorality is a declaration that we sit as kings and queens, independent of God and his archaic, binding rules. Sadly, Babylon thinks that freedom comes from getting to do what you want, when true freedom comes from purity and living under authority.

Application: Our world continues to chase immorality under the guise of freedom. Anytime God and his word enters the picture, the cry of “oppression” goes out. As we were in the garden, we are today: We don’t want anyone telling us what we can and cannot do. As I enter 2010, I want to reaffirm my position as dependent on God, subject to his best will for me. And this includes purity. I am not free to do as I please. I do not sit as a king who will never mourn. I am subject to the king.

Prayer: God, redouble my passion for purity in my life, on screen, online, in life. Let me do so knowing it is your best for me, and not an oppression. Purity is liberty.

1 comment:

<3 said...

I am happy to have found your soap blog today! I hope you don't mind if I link to you. Have a wonderful New Year in the Lord!