Monday, December 7, 2009

My Job is to Not Discourage My Kids.

Scripture: Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged. Colossians 3:21

Observation: Paul makes this command to dads. This is a man command. The order is: Don’t let your man anger come out against your kids, or they will feel like they can never please you and will quit trying. Men in particular need to heed this call, because of our propensity towards power and anger.

Application: God wants me to restrain my anger, lest I ruin my kids. I think I get angry when I feel not in control. When no one is listening to me. But instead of wading in and helping the situation, it is easier for me to send everyone to their room with a harsh word. In the short term I solve the problem. But at what long term cost? God is calling me to see that not discouraging my kids is my job as dad. Tonight, I want to share this verse with my kids at dinner, as well as the verse before it.

Prayer: God, give me patience. Help me discover how I can refrain from discouraging my kids.

No comments: