Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Some Sins Appear Later

Scripture: The sins of some men are conspicuous, going before them to judgment, but the sins of others appear later. 1 Timothy 5:24

Observation: Paul warns Timothy to go slow in the elder selection process. For while some men have easily seen issues, others have things going on in their lives that take time to come out. Sometimes these sins appear later because the seeds have been planted years before, and were never dealt with.

Application: First, we need to be careful in how we appoint leaders to crucial positions like elder or pastor. We need to take time to watch and live with others so we can see the character of their life. But on a personal note, I feel like God is asking me, “What are those sins that will appear later in your life?” Are there areas that are hidden? Are there seeds being planted that could grow up into life-chocking weeds? So what I do today, even if it is not that big of a deal, has potential impact on future-me.

Prayer: God, help me unearth the wild seeds in my life. The seeds that lay dormant for now, but if untended, will grow. I want to be in this for the long haul. Please keep me from damaging myself by not taking care of seeds now. Thanks for your loving hand in my life.

No comments: