Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Show Your Wife How Strong You Are

Scripture: Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered. 1 Peter 3:7

Observation: Peter is writing to believers under the great stress of persecution. Under this stress, husbands may tend to lash out at their wives, using their louder voices and stronger hands. By doing so, they fail to honor their wives as weaker, not less important, vessels. They also fail to see that their wives are co-heirs of the grace of life. That they are under the same pressures and stresses that come with being a believer in a fallen world. Husbands are to understand this, and live with their wives in a way that protects them and honors them. Men are to act like the stronger vessels, and be ready to bear the brunt of pressure without letting it affect how they treat their wives. This is part of what it means to be the stronger vessel. It is not about power, but about servanthood. It is not about exerting will but shielding from harm.

Application:
Jessica and I are both under the general stresses of life. Yet sometimes I let the pressure affect the way I speak to her. Instead of shielding her, I bring more pressure. I feel like God is calling me out in this area. I recently decided that we would have a time, even briefly, each night where we talk before we watch TV, read books, etc. Into this time, I need to incorporate a moment of prayer. In this way, we can share the pressures and redirect the stress towards prayer and God, instead of me bottling it up and lashing out.

Prayer: God, help me demonstrate true strength to my wife, not with volume or words, but with prayer and burden-bearing.

No comments: