Sunday, August 29, 2010

Can God's Heart Be Broken?


Scripture: …how I have been broken over their whoring heart that has departed from me and over their eyes that go whoring after their idols. Ezekiel 6:9 ESV

Observation: God foretells an upcoming judgment against his own people. He is going to make his own people an example to the world of what happens when God is against you. As horrible as this is, something powerful is happening in the heart of God. He is broken. It is always tricky to assign emotions to God, since his ways are not like our ways. But here, God himself gives us language to describe how he is feeling. God says that his heart is broken over the unfaithfulness of his people. The heart of God is broken.

Application: I struggle still to think of God as angry with me, disappointed when I do not follow him. These are not biblical thoughts. I know there is now no condemnation. But I often fail to consider that the God of the universe might be broken over my sin. That his heart might yearn for my faithfulness. That he loves me and wants what is best for me—and my unfaithfulness is not what is best for me. God cares deeply for me and his heart breaks when I go after idols.

Prayer: God, forgive me for wandering. I pray my heart would be broken over my sin like your heart is broken over my sin. Help me to align with you and rely upon you to be faithful.

No comments: