Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jesus Wants Us to Know He Loves the Father

Scripture: I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. John 14:31 ESV

Observation: Jesus is teaching his disciples during his last night before the cross. He is sharing some important last minute instructions. In a section about the imminent departure of Christ, and the future arrival of the Spirit, Jesus makes this statement: I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Why is it important to Jesus that I know he loves the Father? Is this to give me comfort, like a kid going to sleep at night secure in the love his parents have for each other? Is it a model of life for me, that I am to obey God out of my love for him? Is it a hint at something mysterious and deep, a unique relationship Christ shares with his father? Is it a subtle reminder that I am not the center of things, that before I or humanity in general showed up, God was already in a perfect relationship with Jesus (and the Spirit)?

Application: I don’t know what this means. Jesus wants me to know that he obeys God, and he wants the world to know that he obeys God so we will know he loves him. I have to think more on this.

Prayer: Jesus, you thought this was important for me to know. Why? Will you help me hear from you? Will you show me why your love for the father is good for me to see and know?

No comments: