Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Weep No More

Scripture: …and I began to weep loudly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to look into it. And one of the elders said to me, “Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.” Rev. 5:4-5

Observation: No one is worthy. What a terrifying truth. No one, no matter how good they are, are worthy. But weep no more and behold the Lion. Jesus has conquered death and sin and evil, so he is worthy.

Application:
Thinking today about the Lord’s Supper, and especially the admonition not to take the Lord’s supper in an unworthy manner. I think some people think this means that they examine themselves to see if they have been worthy enough in the last few weeks to enable them to take communion. But who is worthy to take communion? No one. Communion reminds us we are unworthy, but that the Lion has conquered and he is worthy for us. I am unworthy; my worth is found in Christ.
How would that change the articles I need to write, the email I need to send, the sermons I have to prepare, if I trusted the worth of God? How would that change the conversations, the family time, the choices I make today if I behold the Lion?

Prayer: God, help me in the many things I need to do today, to live not like I am worthy enough, but like a man who beholds the Lion who is worthy for me.

No comments: