Thursday, August 19, 2010

When the Discipline is Over, Hope Remains

Scripture: Fear not, O Jacob my servant, declares the LORD, for I am with you.
I will make a full end of all the nations to which I have driven you, but of you I will not make a full end. I will discipline you in just measure, and I will by no means leave you unpunished." Jeremiah 46:28


Observation: Jeremiah is predicting God’s judgment on the nation of Egypt. At the end of this chapter, he speaks a word from God to God’s people: “I will not make an end of you. I will punish you, I will discipline you, but I will not end you.” Though God’s discipline is hard, it is necessary. And when the discipline is over, hope remains. For his kids, God always offers hope at the end of discipline.

Application: This is an element I need to bring into my discipline of my own kids…the promise of hope. The assurance that even though the punishment may be tough, when it is over, there is the hope of restoration. That we still love them even though we punish them. And when the punishment is over, there are not lingering consequences—they are fully back in the family. Actually, they never left.

Prayer: God, help me to have the attitude of God when I discipline my kids. Help me show them my love for them even though they have sinned. Let them know my love and commitment for them has not wavered.

No comments: