Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bearing Names to God


Scripture:         As a jeweler engraves signets, so shall you engrave the two stones with the names of the sons of Israel. You shall enclose them in settings of gold filigree.  And you shall set the two stones on the shoulder pieces of the ephod, as stones of remembrance for the sons of Israel. And Aaron shall bear their names before the Lord on his two shoulders for remembrance. Exodus 28:11-12

Observation:    God is laying out the uniform that the high priest was to wear when he entered the presence of God.  Stones of remembrance once again play a part.  Aaron is to engrave 12 stones with the names of the 12 tribes of Israel.  That way, when he comes before the Lord, he bears their names.  It helps him remember he is a representative of the people, speaking to God about them.              

Application:    Twofold.  First, this confirms a growing sense in my heart that we are to be speaking to God about people before speaking to people about God.  That our decision to create prayer cards that we could write names of our friends we are asking God to bring to Christ was on target.  We need to bear the names of those around us to God.  This month, our staff will be taking those names that over 130 of our people submitted for prayer and praying weekly for them.
            Second, I sense that God is asking me to write the names of my wife and children on stones and each morning, take one with me as I go off to work.  This way, whenever I brush against that stone, I can pause and bear their name to God.

Prayer:             God, thanks for continuing to love and guide me.  Especially in the area of bearing people’s names to You.  Help me follow through with this and grow in seeing you answer prayer.

No comments: