Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What Does Earning the Father's Love Do to You?


Scripture:
When the boys grew up, Esau was a skillful hunter, a man of the field, while Jacob was a quiet man, dwelling in tents. Isaac loved Esau because he ate of his game, but Rebekah loved Jacob. Genesis 25:27,28

Observation:    I wonder how much of the trajectory of Jacob’s life was affected by the fact that is dad preferred his brother over him?  That his father’s love seemed to be conditional on what Jacob did and not on who he was.  The text does not say, “And Isaac loved Jacob because he was his son.”  The rest of Jacob’s life seems to be a series of attempts to earn or steal, starting with the theft of his father’s blessing.  It is like Jacob is chasing the approval he never received, and has decided it is up to him and his own efforts to get it.

David Benner, in his book, Surrender to Love, asks, “Imagine God thinking about you.  What do you assume God feels when you come to mind?”  For most people, it is an expression of disappointment, disgust, or anger.  Benner says that people with this image of God will respond with “an effort to earn his approval.” 

Application:    Do my kids each feel in their gut that I love them, no matter what they do or love?  I have 4 kids with 4 different tastes.  Some very different from mine.  I do not want them to feel their worth in my eyes is related to them being a man of the field, or eating of their game.  I need to take time tonight to share with each child my love for them.  I’m going to tell each of them I love them tonight.

Prayer: God, may I always be quick to love my kids, no matter their tastes or personality.  May they be secure in my love, and secure in Yours.

No comments: