Tuesday, January 3, 2012

When God Was Sorry.


Scripture:  And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.  So the Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.” Genesis 6:7-8

Observation:    This is a painful thing to hear.  The Lord regretted making us.  We grieved him.  He is sorry.  I have a difficult time reconciling these words with the sovereignty of God.  I mean, God knew when he made us that we would turn out this way.  Heck, he knew before he even created time that one day we would betray him and rebel.  How then could he say words like this, words that sound like a God who is surprised by the actions of his creation.  I don’t think the meaning here is that God changed his mind or made a mistake.  Rather, it seems to be trying to capture his immense sorrow. 

On the one hand, I have no power over God.  I do not hold the power to please him or pain him.  His well being is not dependent on my actions.  On the other hand, it is clear that we humans do affect his heart.  He is not a cold, calculating God, who is indifferent to the lives of his people.  He is a God whose heart aches for the loss of his loved ones, who hurts when we pursue wickedness, who regrets the separation from his children.

Application:    Sometimes as a father, I find myself angry with my kids when they disobey.  But often, that anger is due to the lack of control I seem to have over them.  I am mad they will not obey me.  But the emotion God shows here says to me that God is not mad because he lacks control over us.  He is sorrowful for the pain and evil we bring upon ourselves due to sin.  As I look at my kids’ disobedience, is my heart moved with compassion for how their disobedience can hurt them and separate them from God, or am I just frustrated they won’t do what I say?

Prayer:  God, when my kids disobey, move my heart away from self-focus and anger, and towards a genuine desire to see them walking with you in the truth.  Let my role be corrector, not enforcer of my rule.   Give me a heart like yours.


No comments: