Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Practical Atheist Family


Scripture:         Now Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing with which his father had blessed him, Genesis 27:41

Observation:    Esau’s mother and brother conspire to swindle him out of the diving blessing from Isaac, to insure the divine blessing goes to the right brother, Jacob.  I feel sorry for this family.  Yes, in the end, it seems like the right man was chosen.  Yes, it seems people like Rebekah had noble goals.  Yes it seems the end was achieved, no matter the means.  But this is one dysfunctional family.  They all suffer from the same affliction—they trust themselves more than their faith.
            Rebekah trusted her schemes over her faith.
            Jacob trusted his mother and his ability to pull off a con more than his faith.
            Esau trusted his gut more than his faith.
            Isaac trusted his senses more than his faith.

Things “worked out” but I cannot help but wonder what God would have done with a family willing to stop and listen, to act with integrity and honesty. 

Application:   This family is a great example of what our church talked about Sunday.  Borrowing a phrase from Craig Groeschel, these people are “Practical Atheists.”  They believe in God, but none of them act like he exists. 
            I think my take away is simple:  I don’t want my family to be like this.  We give lip service to God, but then trust in our own selves instead of faith.

Prayer: God, protect my family from faithlessness.  Help us to see you.  I pray especially for our dinner devotional times.  They have been difficult lately, as we cannot seem to get far with them.  Would you help me lead these well?

No comments: