Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo and the Robes of Righteousness


Scripture: But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. Matthew 22:11

Observation: Today is Cinco de Mayo, and it has me thinking about parties. In Matthew 22, Jesus tells the story of a wedding feast, where the initial invitees decline, and so the doors are thrown open to anyone. This symbolizes the offer and rejection of the kingdom to the Jews and the subsequent throwing open of the kingdom to the gentiles. But as the king walks around the party, he sees someone without a wedding garment. This man is kicked out of the party. So, invitation or not, there seems to be some garment required to participate in the party. If the part is heaven, then we need to be wearing something to get in. I think Jesus is referring to the robe of his righteousness. That we get into the party not because of how fancy the clothes of our effort are, but whether or not we wear his robes.

Application: Heaven is a gift, not a get. Our greatest effort are ratty, worn out clothes, unacceptable for a fancy feast. The only thing we can wear is His righteousness. I just needed to remember that today. That my entry into eternity is based on nothing I do, but what he has done. I don’t have to be good enough or prove myself enough.

Prayer: Jesus, thanks for the party clothes. May I today feel their weight as I go about my day.

No comments: