Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Wisest Thing Solomon Ever Did

Scripture: Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?” 1 Kings 3:9

Observation: As Solomon begins his reign as king, God appears to him and offers him an incredible gift. He can ask God for whatever he wants. Solomon recognizes his complete inadequacy to rule the kingdom, and asks God for wisdom. This is an act of dependence. Solomon here acknowledges his inability to lead in his own effort and wisdom. He must have the wisdom only God can supply. The wisest thing Solomon ever did was recognize his lack of wisdom and need for God.

Application: We face a threefold impossibility in this life. We are called to live like Heaven while here on earth. We are called to fight an enemy much stronger than us. We are called to live with desires that pull us towards evil. These three we are unable to pull off in our own strength. But God has promised to supply all we need to life this life he calls us to. However, it starts with the wisdom Solomon showed here. The understanding of complete helplessness, total dependency. That God and God alone is sufficient. This intentional dependence is tough to maintain in a world that calls us to self sufficiency. But the wisest thing we will ever do is recognize our complete lack of ability to live the live God calls us to on our own, apart from him.

Prayer: God, today I acknowledge I do not have what it takes on my own to lead our church. I do not have the ability to do this. In Christ, I do. I again proclaim my dependence on you and your Spirit. Will you give me your understanding mind today, that I might lead and love your people in your power?

No comments: