Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Hope in Spiritual Warfare

Scripture:
O you who love the LORD, hate evil!
He preserves the lives of his saints;
he delivers them from the hand of the wicked. Psalm 97:10


Observation: The Lord reigns. Those who worship him can rejoice, knowing that God is in control. This control extends to the lives of his saints, especially when they face the wicked. God’s concern and care is not only global, but local. God cares for and can deliver his people from evil.

Application: I am in the middle of preparing this week to talk about spiritual warfare. While it is easy in this topic to get lost in debate, or to value experience over scripture, the simple truth is that God reigns. God reigns over Satan and all the demonic host. The Most High over all the earth is most high over all the enemies in the earth as well. There is victory and protection found in God and God alone. Not in formulas or objects, not in spiritual relics or human power. Our victory does not lie in our own ability to fight well. The Lord reigns. He alone is the Most High over the earth. He alone delivers us from the hand of Satan.
I need to remember this in my own spiritual battles. My victory is found in Christ alone. When it comes to the enemy, I must remember the words of Martin Luther: “One little word shall fell him.” That little word is Jesus.

Prayer: God, thank you for your complete power over all creation, both seen and unseen. Help me to truly have faith in you, and not in myself. Not in my words, my posture, my attitude, but to stand firm in my faith. I believe you when you said that everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Help me believe and preach You this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today will be a year ago our son graduated from Bible College. Age 25. Two months later he died in his sleep...cause undetermined...the coroner never had a case like this.

24 years ago we lost our daughter at 3 months in her sleep.

With no children left and a husband with MS who is struggling.

Here I am age 55 screaming inside to God for some sort of answers to this life that seems to me to have no future.

Many who are friends and Christ followers have ran in fear of what has happend to us. I don't blame them.

So I keep asking questions and full of anger over this life I have here.

I know this is a test to see how we will follow God....

I keep asking God why are you doing this? You created everything..including satan....

Some days I am not sure how to make it to the end of each day.

In Him

Thomas said...

Wow...that is a brutal story. I wish I knew why some of the things that happen to us in life, happen. Sometimes the pain of the situation seems greater than the truth. I pray today that God will show you his purpose in your life, and give you strength to carry on.