Monday, May 3, 2010

God's Voice in Church Yesterday

Scripture: And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people. Acts 18:9-10

Observation: God is confronting Paul with the promise of his presence and protection. He is speaking directly to Paul’s fears. He is urging Paul to not fear, but to go on in courage, to keep speaking, to not stop.

Application: These were part of the verses that we looked at in church yesterday. Even though I already had a sermon studied and written on this, I did sense God speaking to me afresh during our listening to God together time in church. I have dreams and desires for where I think God wants to take Pulpit Rock. He has already begun moving us and restoring us. But sometimes I am afraid to tackle some of the tougher issues. I felt God encouraging me with these words to Paul. Encouraging me that we are on the right track and I need to keep on moving us that way. Encouraging me not to be silent but trust that as I speak, God is moving behind the scenes in ways I cannot yet see. Encouraging me that I am not alone, that there are many that desperately desire for us to be the place God wants.

Prayer: God, thanks for this encouragement. I pray for humility and discernment to know when to push and when to rest. Help me gain consensus and unity towards the vision you have for our church. Let me remember these words and act in loving courage. Pull me back from feelings of aloneness. I trust you to build your house.

3 comments:

George Brown said...

Thanks for giving us time to reflect on this passage yesterday. I sensed the Holy Spirit telling me to follow up on a conversation I had with our neighbor last week and share a particular passage of Scripture with him. Matthew 11:27-30 in the Message.

Chris and Jill said...

Thanks for the encouragement Thomas. I've seen God's protection and Him "making a way" over and over again the past 2 years as He provided the permission we needed to start a lunch Bible Study at my workplace. I sure do wish I'd come across this verse earlier but I can't wait to share it with the other ladies who attend!

Thomas said...

I pray for both of you in your pursuit of God's calling these areas. "and best of all...God is with us!"