Monday, May 10, 2010

Far-Reaching Ripples

Scripture: And the king was deeply moved and went up to the chamber over the gate and wept. And as he went, he said, “O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!” 2 Samuel 18:33

Observation: Absalom, the rebellious son of David, has died. When a messenger brings the news to David, he is wracked with grief. Grief over his son’s death, and the now lost hope of reconciliation. I wonder also if part of the grief is his knowledge that he is partly responsible. The consequences of the sin with Bathsheba had farther reaching effects than he could have dreamed.

Application: One thing no one talks about is how far the ripples of our sin can reach. Sin that is forgiven can still have consequences in our life. Physical, emotional, financial consequences. Even as repentant and broken as David was when confronted by Nathan, this news of Absalom reopened the wound. Yes, God can forgive, but sometimes we have to live with what we have done. I wish I understood this better when I was younger, to see how decisions and sins and habits would reach out into today. This spurs me to look at my life now and see if there are any areas that will come back to me in the future.

Prayer: God, thank you for forgiving me and delivering me from the ultimate consequences of my sin. Thank you also for rescuing me often from the more immediate natural consequences. Help me to listen to your Holy Spirit to address issues in my life now, that they will not come back to haunt me.

No comments: