Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's Not Fair!

Scripture: Yet the house of Israel says, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ O house of Israel, are my ways not just? Is it not your ways that are not just? Ezekiel 18:29

Observation: Ezekiel is talking about how those who repent will be forgiven, even if they have lived a wicked life. Apparently, this did not sit well with God’s people, who believed more in karma than grace. In their minds, God was valuing a moment of repentance over (in their minds) a lifetime of obedience. This is the prodigal son’s brother, angry over how unfair the father is for forgiving repentance and not valuing obedience.

But God points out the irony of this attack: People who are not just are accusing God of not being fair.

Application: God is just. I am not. Just yesterday, I was going off about another person’s actions, indignant that they could act in such a way. Yet even while I was talking, I heard a small voice pointing out the same hypocrisy in my life. Is my life living with justice? Am I quick to accuse others, or even God? Maybe I need to scale down my indignation and look at my own life before I go on the warpath.

Prayer: God, help me to be humble today, not quick to judge motives and actions. Give me compassion today. May I yield and submit to your authority. You are just in all you do. Help me live like I believe that.

No comments: