Thursday, September 9, 2010

Determined to Discipline

Scripture: The LORD determined to lay in ruins the wall of the daughter of Zion; he stretched out the measuring line; he did not restrain his hand from destroying… Lamentations 2:8

Observation:
1. God determines to discipline his people.
2. God measures out his discipline to an exact amount needed, no more, no less.
3. God is willing to mete out harsh discipline to his loved ones.
My discipline of my own children is often haphazard, depending on my mood, frustration level. Often I feel my discipline is too light or too tough, but rarely just right. But God is always right on target. He knows what is needed to bring about the change he desires.

Application: Jessica is leaving town for the weekend tomorrow, leaving me alone with the kids. It is during these long periods that my tolerance drops, and I tend to discipline out of my flesh, and not God’s spirit. I want to embrace the coming weekend as a time for me to parent in the spirit.

Prayer: God, I yield myself to you for this coming weekend. I pray I will experience your patience. Help me have self control. I want this to be a fun time for me to have with my kids. I trust you to give me wisdom to discipline like you, determined and right on target.

No comments: