Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Facing our Accusers


Scripture: Thus says the LORD of hosts: If you will walk in my ways and keep my charge, then you shall rule my house and have charge of my courts, and I will give you the right of access among those who are standing here. Zechariah 3:7

Observation: After years of unrest, stability is starting to come back to God’s people. Under the new preaching ministry of Haggai, people are starting to come back to the old truths, starting to rebuild the temple. Zechariah has a vision of Joshua, the high priest, standing in heaven. Joshua is on trial, with Satan as his accuser. But in a dramatic courtroom turn, God turns to Satan before he can even open his mouth and rebukes him. God orders that Joshua’s filthy clothes be removed and replaced with brand new robes. Then he promises that if Joshua will obey him and keep God’s calling, he will find leadership, acceptance, and he will have a voice in the heavenlies.

Application: Over the last month, I feel I have been under Satan’s accusations. Except they are coming from people. It has been a struggle to listen, to care, to try to mend fences. I have not always done well. But today I think God is reminding me that these accusations do not come from people, but from the accuser of the brethren. My job is not to defend myself, but walk in God’s ways and keep his charge. I can let God rebuke whom he needs to rebuke. I can trust that God will provide the leadership, acceptance, and access to Him that I need to carry out his work.

Prayer: God, help me walk in your ways and keep your charge. Give me courage to stand amidst the accusations. Give me grace to respond, but let me trust you for my defense. And help me turn to the access I have in you for the grace and courage I need.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thomas, your last two sermons have brought me to tears of joy! The total depravity of man, total, absolute, radical (from the radix, the root), DEAD IN YOUR SINS is not heard today. The message that DEAD PEOPLE DON'T REACH FOR A ROPE, don't cry out, don't do ANYTHING but DIE isn't heard today. And it's that BAD NEWS that so values the GOOD NEWS!!! If God is truly just, He must punish sin. If He's truly merciful, He will provide the sacrifice. And He has. Praise His glorious grace!! God's Riches At Christ's Expense.
Be encouraged my friend. Stand against the evil one and his accusations. And you will stand, because His armor, His authority, His power is yours in Christ!