Thursday, September 30, 2010

We Heard that God is With You

Scripture: Thus says the LORD of hosts: In those days ten men from the nations of every tongue shall take hold of the robe of a Jew, saying, ‘Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.’ Zechariah 8:23

Observation: Zechariah is prophesying about a future day of blessing that God will visit upon his people. Here, I think he is talking about the day of Pentecost, where God’s people were so filled with His spirit that as they go out into the streets, people from every nation wanted to go with them because it was so obvious God was with them.

Application: “Let us go with you, for we heard God is with you.” I have lived in my neighborhood for 2 years now. What have my neighbors heard about me? That I am a nice guy? That my kids go to school down the street? That I am the man with no grass in his yard? Have they heard God is with me? What will be the result of God putting a family of believers in a neighborhood for two years? Impact, or irrelevance?

Prayer: God, I fear I have not been intentional enough about my neighborhood. I get so caught up in my house being a refuge for me, that I fail to see it as an opportunity. Would you help me be more mindful of my neighbors, and how I can extend the heart and hands of Christ to them?

No comments: