Monday, September 13, 2010

Prophet or Performer?

Scripture: And behold, you are to them like one who sings lustful songs with a beautiful voice and plays well on an instrument, for they hear what you say, but they will not do it. Ezekiel 33:32

Observation: The prophet Ezekiel was calling people to change. And the people were listening. But they were listening to Ezekiel as they might listen to an entertainer at a concert. They liked his style and tone, but were not moved to act. One day, God promised, they would look back and realize they were listening to a prophet, not an performer.

Application: I feel a pressure often to perform on stage. That people have a certain expectation of my sermons, and they sit as critics, rating what I do. Some want more stories, some want less challenge, others want more “meat.” I think there is a place for me to really listen, and try to meet the needs of the people. But there is also a place for me to get with God, and godly counsel, and speak what he has put in my mouth. These are some important times for our church, and I have been charged by God to say some challenging and hard-to-swallow things. I need to trust that one day, the actions and words I use will be regarded as right.

Prayer: I pray today that I would be moved by the compassion of Jesus, to have the courage of Jesus, to lovingly say what I need to say. Help me listen to those who are hurting or confused. But keep me on course with Your truth. Help me make sure I am listening to your words and responding to them myself.

No comments: