Friday, August 7, 2009

I Don't Know...I Was Blind, but Now I See

Scripture: "How then were your eyes opened?" they demanded. He replied, "The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see." "Where is this man?" they asked him. "I don't know," he said…“One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!” John 9: 10-12, 25
Observation: I love the simplicity of this testimony. This man formerly known as blind has been healed by Christ. When asked, he tells his story, straight shootin’, no frills or religious lingo involved. When asked follow-up questions that he did not know the answer to, he simply says, “I don’t know.” Later, when others try to embroil him in a theological debate, he simply summarizes, “I was blind but now I see.”
Application: Sometimes I think my job in witnessing is to be prepared for every debate, to anticipate every question. But the power of the story comes in its transformation. “I was X; now I am Y.” This man’s story resonates centuries later because he:
1. Told what happened to him,
2. Admitted he did not know everything, and
3. Avoided pointless debate by reaffirming the change Jesus brought in his life.

Prayer: Jesus, let me just tell the story. Let me tell what you did, admit when I don’t know the answer, and keep my focus on what you did in my life. Thank you for opening my eyes so I could see you, and help use my story to open the eyes of others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thomas, thank you for sharing your observations, applications, and prayers. This has been a real pick-me-up for me, where I am at right now.