Thursday, August 27, 2009

If I Could Say Only One Thing...

Scripture: Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades. Write therefore the things that you have seen, those that are and those that are to take place after this. Revelation 1:17-19

Observation: How simple, yet how profoundly important are these words: “I died. I am alive forevermore.” It seems the death and resurrection of Jesus drives everything—from not fearing, to sharing what we have seen. If I could only say one thing about the gospel, maybe it would be this: He died. He rose again.

Application: I tend to focus on many side issues when I share the gospel. The power of forgiveness. The purpose God has for our lives. The belonging that only a community can provide. The hope of change. All these are good, but what seems central is this: He died. He rose.

Prayer:
God, today, help me to move the death and resurrection central in my speech. The same truth that transformed scared disciples into bold lions should be my focus as well. Give me freedom from fear in talking about how You live forevermore.

No comments: