Thursday, August 13, 2009

When God Gets Dressed

Scripture: For as the loincloth clings to the waist of a man, so I made the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah cling to me, declares the Lord, that they might be for me a people, a name, a praise, and a glory, but they would not listen. Jeremiah 13:11

Observation: Just as my clothes hang on my body, God’s people were created to hang on God. On our own, we are crumpled piles of cloth. But when God puts us on and begins to move, we have purpose. We belong to him, we have a name, we have a praise and a glory. But unlike inanimate clothes, we have a choice. We can either listen to God and cling to him, or ignore him and become a loincloth good for nothing.

Application: I was created for God. He does not exist for me. I am a t-shirt in the closet of God. I only have life and meaning and purpose and power as God puts me on and wears me around. The question is, as God is getting dressed today, will he put me on? Will I be worn by him, or passed over? The key, is seems in Jeremiah, is me making the decision to listen and follow what God says. God wears clothes that listen.

Prayer: God, I feel over the last year you have been teaching me that you want to talk to me in some different ways than I have been used to. You want to tell me things, if I will listen. I have already seen your words come true. Help me to discern your voice. Help me to listen. Speak to me, and I will follow you. I want to be worn by you today.

No comments: