Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Three Strikes, But Not Out.

Scripture: Then Jeremiah said to Zedekiah, “Thus says the Lord, the God of hosts, the God of Israel…” Jeremiah 38:17

Observation: Three times Jeremiah is asked to speak the words of God to Zedekiah. The first time, he counsels surrender to Babylon, which gets him beaten. The second tie, he predicts defeat and gets thrown in a cistern. The third time he is wary of the request and only speaks after assurances there will be no reprisal. He is spared, but once again the king ignores the very counsel he himself asked for, and is defeated. I am amazed Jeremiah continues to speak God’s words instead of changing the message to save his skin. I am astounded that Judah keeps asking for words from God that they have no intention of following.

Application: When some people say they want leaders who hear from God, they really mean they want leaders who hear from God words that affirm their choices and course of action. So many times I have had people come to me to get “godly advice,” only to leave angry when they got words contrary to their plan. God is telling me to:
1. Keep telling the truth, even if I am branded a deserter, and
2. Be prepared to be rejected, but not to worry, God can and will deliver me.


Prayer: God, I don’t know who this applies to in my life right now, or if it is a preparation for an upcoming challenge. Help me to hear from you and speak truth to those in my life—and not words that will make them (or me) feel better.

No comments: