Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Because I Am the Dad, That's Why

Scripture: For I am the Lord your God. Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy. Leviticus 11:44

Observation: God gives several chapters of explicit instructions on what his people can and cannot eat. While it is not clear why some animals are acceptable and others are not (no geckos!), the reason for these rules is more clear. God wants his people to practice cleanliness in their rituals so that they might practice cleanliness in their actions and attitudes. The reminder not to eat a pig would help them remember not to speak in anger. After this long list, God says something for the first time, “For I am the Lord your God.” God’s people might have questioned the makeup of the list, but they could not question its authority. God gets to make the rules because he is God.

Application: Did God just pull the, “Because I’m the dad and I said so,” line? I think He did. This line trumps all arguments and ends all discussion. It is often the last resort for a frustrated parent, tired of trying to explain why. As a father myself, there are times when I have to say, “Because I am the dad.” Times when my kids just would not understand the explanation. Times when they might understand, but disagree. But when God uses this line, it is infused with an authority that no earthly father can possess. God is able to ask this of his people because he is God and he said so.
Are there times when I do not understand what God has directed in my life, or I don’t like it? Sure. Do I think God is being a little harsh with some of his commands to me? Yes, but the bottom line is, he is God and he said so.

Prayer: God, I want to be holy as you are holy. I pray specifically for the things I allow my mind to meditate on. You have told me to take every thought captive. I want to do this because you said so. I can only do this through your power. Please teach me how to keep my mind holy, as you are holy.

No comments: