Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thomas, a Slave of God


Scripture: And I have broken the bars of your yoke and made you walk erect… And if by this discipline you are not turned to me but walk contrary to me, then I also will walk contrary to you. Leviticus 26:13, 23-24.

Observation: God has delivered his people from the bondage of slavery. They are free. This freedom from bondage gives them freedom to have covenant with God. God here lays out the terms of his covenant with his people. If they are faithful, God will bless. If they are unfaithful, God will curse. So have the people exchanged one slave master for another? Both God and Pharaoh had terms that were similar. Obey and live. Disobey and suffer. How is God’s mastery over people different from Pharaoh’s?
Later, in the New Testament, a dominating term for followers of Christ was slave (Colossians 1:7, 3:22-23, 2 Timothy 2:24, Titus 1:1, James 1:1). These early believers saw themselves as slaves to Christ.
How do we reconcile such a negative word, fraught with baggage of abuse and mistreatment, with the freedom of Christ?

Application: Maybe I can’t, not fully. I could talk about the difference in serving a dictator like Pharaoh, and a benevolent God. Or I could try to downplay the terms of the NT and say that slave really means servant. Or I could let it be what it is: I am free to be a slave to Christ. As Lord, he has the right and authority to direct my life and lead me. He has the right to expect from me loyalty and faithfulness. When I do not provide that—he disciplines me in love. His goal is always that I would turn back to him and walk with him.
In the words of John MacArthur:
You’re going to be a slave to someone. Being a slave to Jesus Christ is beyond any kind of slavery that anybody ever knew because this master makes us sons and gives us all the rights of His own sons. He adopts us into His family, calls us joint-heirs with Christ, takes us to heaven where we rule and reign from His own throne and pours out all the lavish riches in His possession forever and ever and ever for our own unmitigated joy and His own glory. Who wouldn’t want to be a slave under that master? What a joy to be a slave of Jesus Christ.

Prayer: Today, Lord, I reaffirm my chains. You have set me free from the chains of bondage. You have also chained my life to yours. You are my Lord. I turn to you and walk with you. Help me serve you.

1 comment:

Paul T. Campbell said...

Bless you, Thomas...and Jessica & children. The chains of the bondslave of Christ are the chains of love. As Paul said, "...the love of Christ constrains us...." It is significant that the bondslave does not work for wages or profit to himself. His work is at the behest and bidding of his Master. And it is to bring Him profit. May our Lord Jesus keep you in His ministering will as you minister the Word. Paul