Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Faithful...and Barren

Scripture: And they were both righteous before God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and statutes of the Lord. But they had no child, because Elizabeth was barren and both were advanced in years.

Observation: Zechariah and Elizabeth were righteous. They were faithful. They believed God. They had been this way all their lives. Yet all of this obedience did not shield them from the pain of barrenness. Elizabeth refers to this as her “reproach.”
Now, ultimately, God does bring a child into their lives—and what a child he was! But at the time of verse 7, this couple had felt God’s silence into a deep area of life.
So obedience and faithfulness do not always equal timely blessing, as far as our timing is concerned. Even good-hearted believers, faithful followers, can know the pain of unmet dreams. They can feel like God has not looked at them.

Application: I live in a Proverbs theology: Generally, faithfulness equals blessing. It does, but not always in the timing and manner we expect. This is a good guideline for me as I begin 40 days of listening and expecting from God. Can I expect blessing? Yes, but it may not come in the shape or timing I want. Some blessings come much later, but as I learn from Elizabeth and Zechariah, they do come.

Prayer: God, let me be faithful. Let me obey even if I do not see the fruit. Even though the barrenness. And let me trust you these next 40 days that you know the best time and way to bring blessing into my life.

No comments: