Thursday, February 25, 2010

Is it Okay to Ask for My Will Be Done?


Scripture: While he was in one of the cities, there came a man full of leprosy. And when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and begged him, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.” Luke 5:12

Observation: Such a simple statement of faith. The man believes that Jesus can heal him; what he does not know is if Jesus wants to heal him. For this leper, the only limit is God’s will, not his power. Not knowing what the will of God is, he simply asks for his own will—to be healed.

Application: I had someone ask me this week about God’s will. Outside of clear passages from the word, we don’t always know what God’s will is. In these cases, what do we do? When we do not know God’s will, it is okay to ask God for our will to be done. God still has the right to say yes, no, or wait. When we take an attitude of reverence and dependence like this leper, it is okay to ask for our will until he reveals his will.

Prayer: God, let me be bold in my requests for the things I want to see happen in my life. You always get the last word, and I submit to your will. But when I don’t know your will, I’ll ask you for mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just what I needed to hear today. I have messed up in the past doing my will that it is sometimes hard for me to even ask for things especially if I have no idea if God is willing. I know the big things, is he willing for me to share the gospel, of course! is he willing for me to ask that my art keep selling so I can have some chump change, I don't know, or didn't. I guess I can always ask.

Thanks for sharing.