Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What If Satan Speaks Through The Word, Too?

Scripture: If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here, for it is written, “He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you.” Luke 4:9-10

Observation: Satan quotes scripture to entice Jesus to throw himself off the temple. Although the scripture he uses is out of context and misapplied. We talk often about how we are to use scripture during temptation, as a defense against the enemy. But not much is said about how Satan himself uses scripture. Satan obviously knew the bible. He was able to use a verse that sounded like it applied. He is the great deceiver, and it seems part of his arsenal of deception includes the Holy Word. We see this all the way back in the garden of Eden (“did God really say…”).
This misuse of scripture can range from false religion and theology based on misinterpretation of scripture, all the way to people using scripture to justify sin.

Application: I need to be aware of Satan’s ability to turn the word against me. He will take the thing I hold so dear and twist it to confuse and misdirect me. When I come to the word to hear it, I need to pray that God’s voice would be the one I hear, and that the Spirit would remind me of truth and protect me from error.

Prayer: I pray today, God, for my time in your word, and for all the people of Pulpit Rock as we listen together. Protect us from the twisting of the deceiver. We are your sheep; may you help us hear and know your voice and reject any other voices.

No comments: